Monday, January 16, 2012

Salvete! Wæs hæl!

Introduction
Purposes
Wrap Up


Introduction

This blog is a platform from which I'm going to be writing, gushing, and otherwise working through the sense of my various translation projects. Currently I'm working on a translation of Beowulf from Anglo-Saxon, and another of the thirteenth century song "Tempus adest Floridum" from Latin.

Two old and gone languages might seem a little, well, anachronistic in this internet-set age of ours, but as Facebook offers its site in Latin and other blogs for old languages exist, there is definitely a readership for the thoughts and meanderings of a wit as he moves meaning from one language and into another.

Back To Top
Purposes

Of course, to reach the conclusion that there is an audience for this sort of thing I'm applying an idea that I've always tried to keep firmly in mind: that among a finite number of people with access to print media there's definitely a sizable audience for anything from a slightly more finite number of genres and forms.

To put it more simply, there are a lot of people in the world, and somewhere out there there's got to be a solid 5000 of them interested in what I have to say or the stories that I have to tell. Scale that number up or down as you please.

However, the primary purpose of this blog is to give me a space to write about my own reactions to what I translate. These will definitely include bits where I wax academical, but there will also be bits where I just laugh at the literal translation of a word, or sit in wide-eyed wonder at how a perfectly awesome word did not make it into casual Modern English.

I might even flex some alumni muscle and pull out etymologies from the Oxford English Dictionary Online (hereafter the OEDO) to show these words' journeys if they've been traced.

Back To Top
Wrap Up

So, as you might guess, what I write here is going to generally be scholarly but with a more casual tone than that which you'll find in an academic journal or book. I'll be keeping the long sentences, though.

Back To Top

No comments:

Post a Comment